Legal Requirements

There are set legal requirements for weddings. Some of these relate to documents which either you or the celebrant must complete, and others relate to the content of your wedding ceremony. The following gives you valuable information which you need to know.

Note: Where stated, all documents must be originals. Copies or certified copies are not acceptable.

Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM)

This is a legal document which must be completed and signed by at least one of the parties one month and one day prior to the wedding date. Both parties must sign the form prior to the wedding taking place.

Please download this form by clicking on this link, and review the information required so you are aware of any other information you may need to provide when we complete the form.

When I send you an email to confirm our meeting time and place, I will also list all documents and information you will need to bring with you.

Identification documents

If you were born in Australia, it is a legal requirement that your celebrant is given the ORIGINAL birth certificate for both the bride and the groom. If you do not have these, you can contact the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the state in which you were born and order a copy.

If you were born outside Australia and are now an Australian citizen, you must provide your ORIGINAL birth certificate from your country and place of birth.

If you were born outside Australia and are not an Australian citizen, you can provide your passport as your identification document.

In addition to the birth certificate, you must provide photo identification, such as a passport or driver’s licence.

If your documents are in a foreign language, you will need to have them translated into English. Please see below for a link to translators and interpreters.

Have you been previously married?

If you have been previously married and you are now divorced, you must provide the ORIGINAL Divorce Certificate.

If your previous spouse is deceased, you must provide their ORIGINAL Death Certificate.

Have you changed your name since birth?

If so, you must provide the ORIGINAL Change of Name Certificate/s.


You must provide the full names of your two witnesses. Your witnesses must be over the age of 18, attending the ceremony and be prepared to sign the wedding documents as witnesses.

Additionally, it is essential your witnesses are able to clearly  understand the legal components of the marriage, therefore if either of your witnesses is deaf or does not understand English, you will need to arrange for an interpreter.

We can talk further about this during our first meeting to  ensure you are clear on the legal requirements.

Translators & Interpreters

If you require a translator or an interpreter you should source one through NAATI.

The National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters Ltd (trading as NAATI) is the national Standards and accreditation body for translators and  interpreters in Australia. It is the only agency that issues accreditations for practitioners who wish to work in these professions in Australia.

Wording of your marriage ceremony

There are two sections of a legal wedding which have specific wording which can not be changed.

The first is where I introduce myself as your celebrant and confirm I am duly authorised by law to carry out the marriage ceremony.

The second is mandatory wording for your vows which is
“I call upon the persons here present to witness that I (name of groom/bride) take you (name of bride/groom) to be my lawful wedded (wife/husband/spouse).”

You have great flexibility around these two requirements and we will discuss this during our first meeting.

Form 14

The Form 14 is a legal document which you sign and I witness and this must be completed before your marriage can take place. 

The Form 14 is a declaration which states that there is no legal impediment to your marriage (i.e. there is no reason you cannot marry each other).



All other ceremonies have no legal requirements, carry no legal weight and have no legal status in Australia.

Please contact me now to discuss your needs for your day.